Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Caris' First Birthday Party

After a dramatic weekend of Caris' birthday(Aug. 9th), when she came down with strep throat the night before her originally planned birthday bash, we finally had her party two weeks later. Through my friend Shannon,  I found out about Rebecca Read Designs custom invitations and asked Rebecca to design Caris' invitations.  She did a fantastic job and it's always the little details that makes a party.  Since we are in a middle of a move, my father in law graciously hosted the party at his home.  And since Caris wasn't able to tell me what she wanted her first birthday theme to be I just chose something very generic which was pink and brown cupcake theme.  Hubby says I eventually need to move away from the pink and brown colors.  Her nursery is the same colors....But why??? So my mission to find foods in pink and brown was a little challenging but fun!  So the menu was : Ham and Roast Beef sandwiches, pretzels, Neapolitan Ice Cream, Neapolitan candies, Strawberry Whoppers, Tootsie Rolls, Pink Animal Crackers,  Strawberry Oreos, Raspberry Milano cookies, Strawberry and Coconut marshmallows with Root Beer and Pink Lemonade!

Couple of things I took away from planning her first birthday party.  One, be flexible since obviously even the best planned events can fall through especially when you have a child involved.  Children are not always on your timeline.  So tend to your baby and tomorrow is another day...Second, have someone else take pics of your party if you're hosting.  It was so hard for hubby and I to take pics since we wanted to talk to everyone, host, etc...and trying to focus on snapping pics and keeping up with an one year old!  So the downside were: the punch bowl needed refilling and didn't get done, I didn't really get a chance to talk to everyone, and there were pics missed like one with all the moms and kids that were there :(  Oh well, there's always next year.  But the bright side is that's it's over and everyone had a good time, for a one year old party, that is!

On an emotional note, I can't believe she is ONE!  It has been an absolute joy to stay at home this past year to watch her grow from a tiny infant into this little person with all sorts of personality.  I won't lie and say it has been easy but the joy of motherhood far outweighs all the negatives.  She is such a blessing that we can't even imagine our life without her anymore.  Seriously, if I run an errand I have to always call once or twice to see if she ate, nap, etc...What's wrong with me??? The big test will be when we have to leave her overnight, Lord have mercy!  I'm getting sad just thinking about it!  But that day is not today but I know it will come so maybe I need to plan a weekend getaway...

Front
Back (with her booty hangin' out)

Follow the balloons
Our Birthday Girl

Paintin' her toes for the party


You gotta have the right party dress

Putting on her party face

Back of dress had her birth date on the applique

Ready to meet and greet the guests
Party table


Cupcakes galore
Marshmallows
Rice Krispie pops
Neapolitan candies
Birthday banner
A pic for each 12 months



Birthday girl busy looking at mommy's necklace

I love this little girl!
Pappaw
Cousin Lesley, Aunt Sharon, Grandma Kitty
Grandparents
Granny
Grandma Kitty
Avery with Dad Allen
Misty and Jakey
Good friends from our old church
With Dana-Susan, my college bud
Corrine and her daughter,  Amanda-church nursery friends
Not crazy about the candle or the party hat! 



But she is sure she likes her giant chocolate cupcake!
Opening presents

Strawberry and Chocolate bubbles as party favors (Ka-ching, Dollar Store)
Birthday souvenir with fond memories!

3 comments:

The Junods said...

GOODNESS! That was precious party of the YEAR! You out-did yourself! What an amazing party! I'm calling you next time, Miss Creative! I'm so so sorry we missed out. C's dress and all the details were perfect. I couldn't close my mouth...every picture had something adorable! So glad you go to have a party after all that drama!! Its unbelievable to see that sweet thing walking and holding your hands! Time is going by too fast! We're missing so much!!

shannonmichaelis said...

Amazing! Not to mention amazing photography! :-) Love all the details, and especially the invite. Like the birthdate on the back of the dress. I am getting hungry just looking at all the pictures. Happy First Year to a precious little girl!

The Read Family said...

What a beautiful party Nancy! I can't get over every little detail! You'll have to tell me where you ordered her birthday hat. Already getting ideas for our little girl's one year party and we haven't even had her yet!